Pages

Being an Artisan with Xun




We all have our dream jobs (personally I dreamed of being a zoo keeper who hangs out with big cats all day), but not every one of us has the courage or strength to pursue it, especially when our education or past work experience does not prepare you for the new path. But there are always a few of us, once found their passion, they just fearlessly set their mind to it. Xun is one of them. After graduating from School of Visual Arts in New York with a degree in motion graphics, she got herself a full-time job as the maker and owner of her own jewelry shop Tick Tack Tick on Etsy. Let's hear her story.





Q: Why did you decide to open this shop?

A: Ever since I was a little kid, I've always wanted to be an artisan. I love drawing, sketching and making things. After graduation, things got a bit slow so I started designing and making jewelry as a hobby. I would wear some of the pieces too. As a surprise to me, this one steampunk necklace I was wearing got noticed and many friends asked if I could sell them. Then I thought why not. So the next thing I did was open up my shop on Etsy and that is how jewelry making has become my full time job. The process of jewelry design and making really brings me joy. It even brings me a greater sense of satisfaction knowing that these little pieces will make someone else happy.






Q: What is your inspiration?

A: I've always been fascinated with the intricacy of old pocket watches. That's why you see me incorporate their intricate design in my pieces. I always love putting vintage watch gears and parts into necklaces, brooches and rings. Although they are not functioning anymore, they could continue to shine as a piece of jewelry. My fond of nature and animals also inspired me to create a series of these themed accessories. In the coming months, I will put up a wider selection of new accessories, as well as home decorations on Tick Tack Tick! 









----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          
About our Friend Xun:
Born in Chengdu, China. Left for Singapore at 18. Now owner of online jewelry shop Tick Tack Tick. Xun loves vintage and often spends her spare time mooching around New York flea markets hoping to discover some interesting stuff. She also takes on freelance motion graphics projects once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment